Monday, August 24, 2009

Like a hamster on a wheel...

Running. Always running. That is my life. When is my next run? How far is that run? What elevation, incline, speed, terrain, etc? Am I sore, tired, fatigued, stiff or is it that one moment of rarity where nothing hurts and I have enough energy to think of something to clean. This training has becoming all encompassing, but I have come to the point that as much as I am sick of it – in some sick way I relish it. I love that I am getting stronger, faster and more determined than ever. Yesterday, I ran 16.29 miles – outside and up some serious hills (okay I walked up the hills). A year ago that would have been unimaginable. Now it’s only the most recently accomplished challenge. Next week 17 miles is my long run. Already I am trying to plan my next route.

Don’t get me wrong – I miss having time to seriously do my art (or at least think about creating). I miss not being able to hang out with my friends and family members because I have to prepare for a run for the next day. There are days (like today) where I am just sick of it all and would like to take a long nap and forget it. However, there is something so incredibly self servicing and freeing about this training for me. Knowing that I am preparing for a battle that is nothing less than against myself, is as fear inducing as it is exciting. There is nothing that is going to stop me short of serious injury, from doing this marathon – nothing that is except me. When people say that running is a mental game – it’s all too true. Your body could be at its peak in performance, but if your mind isn’t – you aren’t running. Too often we discount this connection. But where your head is – will determine when your feet will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment