Saturday, September 5, 2009

Time to play is not for today…

Labor Day Weekend has arrived. The last days of summer are upon us and for many here in the Pacific Northwest it’s a last rush to enjoy all that is bright and beautiful about the summer before the drizzly days of winter are upon us with their relentless grey skies and wet chilly mornings. You can smell that crisp cool air coming in from the ocean almost 100 miles away, a sure sign that winter is sure to follow.

When you go to the stores, Halloween decorations are now in full display. Halloween is typically one of my favorite holidays, but not this year. This year Halloween has put sheer terror in my heart. For Halloween is the day before my 1st marathon. The race is less than two months away and my panic is really starting to set in. I yearn to get out of my apartment to do something else other than buy supplies, work or run. But now is not the time to play hooky. Marathon training, to me is a kin to a prisoner work release program. You go and work then dutifully return back to you cell (apartment) to continue on the next day. Hopefully at the end of the program you’ll get some time off for good behavior. Don’t get me wrong I am so ecstatic that I have somehow managed to get into the marathon and that I am moving along in my training. But after almost two years of training for one race or another, I could use a break and a martini.

The height of my excitement this weekend – I went to a movie. Oh I know what you’re thinking “you, rebel”, but you see, if it weren’t a three day weekend, then I would have had to run my long run today and then I would have been too tired to do anything the rest of my weekend. Friday night I would have had to go to bed early so that I could do today’s long run and Sunday would have been reserved for recovery and prepping myself & the apartment for the next week. Yep, I am a real ball of fun right now. Woo freaking woo, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment