Monday, July 20, 2009

No Candy...

I am now in training. I run any where to 4 to 6 miles four days a week with a long run on the weekend which at the moment is topping out at 12 miles. With the guidance of my running coach – found on the Road Runners Club of America website: http://www.rrca.org/. She has created for me a custom schedule to enable me to run my marathon. I am so excited to be accomplishing something, hell, even attempting something that 15 years ago I would have thought forever beyond my ability. Why the running coach? Because I saw someone wrote a freaking book on how to run the NYC Marathon. Why did they write a book on how to run one specific marathon, you ask? Cause it’s that freaking hard. So for the cost of two pedicures a month, I hired a running coach.

My running coach has confirmed for me my sinking suspension regarding marathon training and weight loss. The two do not coincide. I have to admit that I am a bit bummed. In the 2 last weeks or so I have used this as a reason to eat more than I would have normally, but I determined to put a stop to this behavior. Would it be nice to be that size 8 while running across the finish line in Central Park – Hell Yeah! But knowing that it's perhaps not a realistic goal (I am currently a size 12) I am not going allow myself to continue to gain weight just because I have this odd sense of defeat. Which is really weird, cuz I am in a freaking marathon! I need to celebrate this accomplishment. When I eat better - I feel better. A few weeks ago, I bought candy for the office (okay me, but I shared People!). And I found that I felt achy and terribly fatigued afterward. So I have made my first pledge for this race. To improve my training and overall sense of well being – no more candy till after the race – insert big gasp here! To those of you who chew only ½ a piece of gum at a time, I don’t expect you to understand. I am once of those who does eat and enjoy the entire movie size box of sour skittles before the opening credits of the movie are over. It’s weird how much more in tune I feel with my body now. It’s hard to ignore those small signs that I was so oblivious to before. The food I eat, the amount of sleep I get, the depth of my training – now all greatly impacts how I function. Now to most of you this is no great revelation. To me, it’s the first time I have really paid attention to what my body is saying. At the moment, it’s got a filthy mouth.

One day a week I am to cross-train. I have found a great class called Zumba at this dance studio called Diva Den: http://www.pdxpoledivas.com/index.html. I found this place through a Weight Watchers meeting, believe it or not. I have taken levels 1 & 2 of the Pole Dancing Classes and they are an utter blast – but I have been told not cross-training worthy. Have no fear, once this race is completed I will return to my pole! Oh, don’t be confused. I am not very good at pole dancing – I call myself the Mary Catherine Gallagher of the strip tease. That easy/flirty/sexiness that so many women have – not me. Why do I do it? The same reason kids swing on the monkey bars – its fun! And the shoe are just freaking hot!

Well I am off to shower and rest. Today is a rest day. Tomorrow - bring on the runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment