Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Clarity or Insanity? Try both...

After completing my second race I was on a ‘runner’s high’ so to speak. Elated that I had surpassed my goals (shocked to have even accomplished them, really), I wanted to continue to train and find greater challenges. But I also don't want to burn out or try to compare myself to runner who have been running since birth. I needed to impress upon myself that this was a journey I was taking for my physical and to a great extent inner self. But I do have to admit that the physical benefits can be pretty good.
I love the way that running is redefining my body. Let me be clear. I not loosing weight. Crazy hunh? All that running and with little to no weight loss?! Yep. But I was trimming up in ways I never though would be possible - without some serious cash, a plastic surgeon and recovery time. I was becoming stronger and every breath felt more deeper and purposeful. I bet you I can inhale a kumquat. My thighs are trimming up and becoming more slender and powerful. And my butt. Ahhh. Let me tell you about my butt. Overall size remains the same, but the shape is a huge improvement. I no longer have the wall-of-ass as I liked to think of it. It has a serious curve. Jeans which I refused to wear before because I hated the way they made my butt look - now look good! My mood has improved. I can’t really explain it but somehow I have become even tempered and honestly happier since taking up the sport. I have become content in my skin. Oh, there are things I would like to improve, but now I don’t have that burning sense of urgency or remorse because some part of me isn’t up to snuff. I also have a greater sense of what I want out of life. Somehow sweating has brought me clarity. Amazing what allot of movement and an alien parasite can do for you! Now I am an adict. I can't stop. Plus, if I had to save myself from a charing rino, I could possibly out run it. Well maybe if it was lame...

Now I have a personal goal of completing a marathon for 2009. Wish me luck. I have my eyes set on one in particular, but there are always more races to be run...

Here is my race History so far:
The Shamrock Run (5K) - PDX
The Bridge to Bridge to Brews (8K) - PDX
The Starlight Run (5K) – PDX
The Human Race (10K) - PDX

Future Races:
2009 The Shamrock Run (5K) – PDX
The Race for the Roses (1/2 marathon) – PDX
A Marathon – to be determined…

Wish me luck! And oxygen at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment